A Guide for Choosing the Handyman you Need
Although handymen are known for having a wide range of skills, you’re making a mistake if you assume they are all the same. Some may specialize in carpeting, others in home repair. A true handyman will tell you straight if there is a job he’s not good at, the problem is that not all handymen are that honest. So, in order to avoid wasting money on services you may not need or on a handyman who can’t do a proper job, read this article and find out how to find the handyman you need.
Make a List.
With such a broad reaching profession, it’s almost impossible to find one handyman who can do everything. That’s why, before even looking for one, make a list of all the things you want done. Make sure you include all details. This list will prove to be very helpful later on, in the screening process.
Do Some Research.
One way to find handymen is to pick up your local newspaper and check the advertising section. However, you should know that true handymen are busy most of the time, so they stopped advertising their profession. Most of them rely on word of mouth. This means that if you really want to hire a true handyman, you’ll have to actually ask around. Start with your friends, family members, neighbors, coworkers, etc.
The Screening Process
- There are a few questions you should ask your potential handyman.
- What kind of services do you specialize in?
- Every handyman has a few favorite jobs. Finding what they are will give you a clue whether he is suitable for your project or not.
- Can you provide references?
- A handyman who offers references can be trusted as he’s proud of his job. However, make sure you always check out those references in order not to have surprises later on.
- How many year of experience do you have?
- It’s safe to hire a handyman who has at least five years of experience.
While you’re at the screening process, feel free to contact Odds & Ends Handyman Services for an interview as well. We reside in Dallas TX and you can call us at (214) 937-0728.